I think a lot of us have goals, dreams, and aspirations. A lot of us have thought about where we wanna be in life. If you’re anything like me you might find yourself daydreaming about a reality that may never come because as much of a planner you may be, your follow through, well…sucks.
I think I might be an “Ima do” person. (Ima= I will…lol)
Ima do this, Ima do that. Always what I’m going to do, never what I’ve done.
So how does one start to follow through?
- Set realistic goals: Be real with yourself. You can do great things but if you don’t have the tools or even the know how, whats the actual likelihood of accomplishing any of these pipe dreams?
- Stop talking about it: We “Ima Do” folk love to broadcast our plans to the public before we even get the ball rolling. It’s kind of embarrassing when someone asks us later on what happened with a certain project and all we can say is that it simply “fell through”. Move in silence. Let your accomplishments speak for themselves.
- Stay committed: Many times I give up right when things start to get hard with the false belief that if it’s too hard, it’s not meant to happen. The best things are worth fighting for.
- Don’t be afraid to fail: Not everything you set out to do will lead to a fountain of success. Sometimes it just doesn’t work and that’s okay. Now you know what not to do.
- Follow through: Finish. Whatever you start, just see it through to the end. You’ll be a better person for it…so I’ve heard.
Not saying you’ll get it right every time. We’re all “Ima Do” people at some point but let that be the one thing you don’t follow through on.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
What is not started today is never finished tomorrow.