So I’ve been back in school for almost two weeks now and while I thought starting off the school year in my dorm as a vegan couldn’t possibly be as hard as it sounded, I was so soooo wrong. As much research as I did, I realized I still had no idea how to really be vegan while in school. I went to Aldi’s grocery store and then Earth Fare and picked up some food feeling super confident. Got back to my room and realized I had a whole bunch of nothing. Seriously. WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY! I am a broke college student. I quite literally cannot afford to waste any money. So here are some things I learned the hard way about being vegan in a college dorm.
- Get yourself a fridge. Some people say you don’t really need one. I beg to differ because not having on is killing me. I would like to store my fruit and spinach and freeze my potatoes. Obviously I can’t do that so obviously I don’t buy them which OBVIOUSLY affects my diet.
- It’s okay if you don’t cut out every animal product cold turkey. i thought I coould because I honestly believed I had no taste for the stuff whatsoever. I WAS WRONG. Giving up meat was the easy part. Yet, realizing how much of my favorite foods had animal products was pretty depressing. I LOVE CHEESE. Like…I love it. It’s in all my favorite foods like pizza and my burgers. I also love yogurts and ice cream so saying goodbye to those when I don’t have a kitchen to cook any food is difficult to say the least.
- Make a list of what you’re buying before you get to the store. If you shop blindly like I did sometimes, you’ll buy a whole lot of nothing. I had popcorn, chips, salsa, and LOTS of bread, realizing I had a whole bunch of carbs and not much of anything else.
- Just go to the cafe man. I tried to avoid my school’s cafe because quite frankly, the food isn’t always a hit but it does have a vegan line and it also has a pretty good salad bar.
- Find an accountability partner. Literally all of my friends here love meat so they’re not gonna check me. I don’t know any other vegans where I am. It’s always cool to find someone you can exchange ideas and recipes with.
That’s all I got so far. If you’re vegan and have some tips for me, that’d be cool because as you can see, I. AM. STRUGGLING.